Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Margaret Tunic Free Pattern

So I finally designed a successful garment you guys!
And I actually wrote a pattern for it, so you can knit it too!
(Or if you don't want to knit it, you can buy it here!)


I've always wanted to knit a light spring/summer top, and I figured out a really simple way to do it. It's basically a long rectangle with a head hole, that's seamed on the sides, with a long lace panel down the front. Easy-peasy and quick to knit on big needles.



Case in point:

Here's how to make it.
I'll have a .pdf in a little bit, just getting it underway, but I wanted to post the pattern without waiting for that.

Breezy Lace Tunic Pattern



Sizing:
Please note that, because this is such a loose-fitting top, the measurements aren't going to be exact for your body. 

Approximately -
Small: 23 inches across, 23 inches long (or desired length)
Medium: 27 inches across, 27 inches long (or desired length
Large: 31 inches across, 31 inches long (or desired length)

I really know very little about sizing, since I am a size medium and I don't really feel like finding people of different sizes and knitting garments for them. Call me lazy or inexperienced, but that's how it is.
However, all you need to do to adjust the size is add or subtract stitches (3 per inch) off of the sleeves to make it wider or thinner, and you can knit it as long as you want. You could even make this into a dress!

Materials:
Size 13 needles (I used circulars since this gets pretty big--it's still knitted flat)
Size F crochet hook
3 balls of Lily Sugar n' Cream solids (300 yards) or worsted weight yarn of your choice
Yarn needle for finishing

Gauge
10 sts x 16 rows = 4 inches in garter stitch (approx. 3 sts per inch).

Directions:
Directions are written size small first, with medium and large in parentheses.
Cast on 49 (65, 81) sts.
Work garter stitch (knit every row) until piece measures 20 (25, 29) inches long (or desired length minus 2 inches). This is the back of the tunic.

Work neckline:
Knit 14 (20, 26) sts. Bind off 21 (25, 29) sts, knit remaining 14 (20, 26) sts.
With two balls of yarn, work each group of sleeve stitches in garter stitch for 12 rows.
Row 13 (RS): Work across first sleeve group, then cast on 21 (25, 29) stitches, work other sleeve group. 49 (65, 81) sts remain.

Begin front:
(WS) Knit 18 (26, 34) sts, purl 13 sts, knit 18 (26, 34) sts.
The lace panel will be worked over those 13 purled stitches, while garter stitch is worked on either side. Of course, for an easier and quicker tunic, the lace panel can be omitted, and garter stitch worked all the way. You could even make the panel wider, if you want, by adding another 'hole', or *yo, sl1, k2, psso* group.


Lace Panel:
To keep the lace looking neat and consistent on both sides of the panel, there is a decrease added BEFORE the first 'hole'. Therefore, you are left with one less stitch than you should have, which is why there is a m1 at the end of each purl row.

Over 13 sts.
Row 1 (RS): sl1, k1, psso, *yo, sl1, k2, psso, repeat from * to last 2 sts; yo, sl1, k1, psso. 12 sts of panel remain.
Row 2 and all even rows: Purl across 11 sts, m1, p1.
Row 3: k1, sl1, k2, psso, *yo, sl1, k2, psso, repeat to end.
Row 5: sl1, k2, psso, *yo, sl1, k2, psso, repeat from * to last st, k1.

Work in this manner, knitting garter stitch with the lace panel in the middle, until piece measures 20 (27, 30) inches long (or desired length minus 1 inch). Bind off loosely.

Finishing:
To finish neckline so it's not so loose and saggy, single crochet one round around it. In this way you can adjust the neckline--you can make it smaller and tighter by crocheting fewer stitches, or wider and looser by crocheting more stitches.

Seam the sides up to about 9 inches from the top of the garment. You can adjust this as much as you'd like, too.
Weave in ends.

I blocked this just by tossing it in the wash and dryer on delicate, but that's what worked best for my yarn.





Hope you enjoy this pattern! Like I said, it's the first garment I've ever designed by myself, and the first pattern I've written with multiple size options. Let me know if you encounter any problems, or have any questions; I want to make my patterns as clear and accurate as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I liked your blog very much it is very interesting and I learned many things from this blog which is helping me a lot.

    Thanks a lot!

    Hoodies Shirts for Woman

    ReplyDelete