Thursday, August 27, 2015

A Knitting Horror Story

We're going to do a little something different today. I'm gonna tell you a story!
If you don't knit, however, you might not completely get what I'm talking about, so, ah, WARNING.

Once upon a time I was working on a new hat. It was knitted in the round; I'd spent a good hour or so working on it and I'd finished the brim and started the body. I was so excited, it had a lovely stitch pattern motif, and I was really enjoying working it.
I'm going to step back quick here, and say this: You know where you're reading a pattern for something in the round and they say "Join, taking care not to twist sts on needle"? Today I had read that and said,
"Psh. Let's get on with it."
I'd knitted about 2 inches of this thing and I realize, huh, this looks a little off.

So I investigated a little more and realized that the flippin' thing was flippin' twisted.



I was in denial. In all my years of knitting his had never actually happened to me before, so I thought I could be mistaken. So I spent the next few minutes desperately trying to straighten it out, but to no avail. I was left with a bloody mobius hat brim thing. I ended up having to rip the whole thing out and start over, and I discovered that when you try and rip something out that's twisted like that, the yarn loops around and gets all tangled and stuff... RRRNGGH!

The moral of the story is: PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

No comments:

Post a Comment